HOME                    ABOUT ME                    GET LOST                    MOTHERHOOD                    PERSONAL

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Rage against the stoplight!

I have lived in and walked the crowded streets of New York City and Chicago. I have lived in the City of Angels amongst hoards of traffic on the 405 and suffering through an awful and often unbearable commute (only bearable because then I could drive my VW Bug convertible with the top down and jam very loudly which I miss on the regular). But for some reason, these days nothing drives me more crazy than the crowded streets of suburbia. So many people. So many people always going somewhere at the exact time I want to go somewhere. And where are all of these people going??? Target? The Mall? WHERE ARE YOU GOING??? I guess in a city like Chicago or New York you aren't a slave to your automobile so you can make the choice to pick somewhere walkable if you need a coffee or to drop off your dry cleaning. Walking doesn't make you as angry. Does it? Here, the choice is to drive. Always. Always driving. Always waiting at stoplights.  And you know what? I don't like it. Perhaps this land of suburbia we chose is just too big. I don't know. A small town with one red light sounds about right to me at this current moment in time. Even in my hometown it doesn't take this long to run to the post office or go to the other side of town. Oy!!

(*disclaimer* I am extremely hormonal, very pregnant and uncomfortable so if someone looked at me the wrong way I'd want to poke his or hers eyes out). Just saying. I'm on a rampage today. Take me with a grain of salt k? I need this child to come into the world.

And I have to say, I have never been a road rage kind of person but lately it irritates me to no end to have to go anywhere because even the most mundane tasks seem to take forever. Last week when we were up in Brevard I just felt so relaxed. Small mountain town. No traffic to speak of minus the tourists like us going to check out falls. Quiet. A house for sale across the street from lovely dining options..couldn't help but think how lovely that'd be.  Heck, Asheville didn't feel so crowded to me. Again, that is a city where if you played your cards right you wouldn't 'have' to drive anywhere...frequently anyway.

Like I said in my earlier posts, I am just craving a little bit of a slow down. Simplicity. No rat race. No more Target runs. No more 'quick' runs to the Grocery store for a last minute item that ends up taking 30 minutes due to stop lights. I guess the timing couldn't be better for this baby. I know I'll get to stick around here for a bit and chill out. Plan a mountain getaway in the meantime yes? I'll just breathe for now.....heed the advice from the quote above. Trust and take a leap of faith that we're exactly where we need to be at this moment in time. But if you see me on the road you best get out of my way ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment