HOME                    ABOUT ME                    GET LOST                    MOTHERHOOD                    PERSONAL

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

all is calm....

 

 The smell of a fresh Christmas tree. The transformation a living room can take with the addition of a simple Christmas pillow and plaid throw blanket. A fire burning in the fireplace with the mantle decorated in such a way that it feels like home while you watch "It's a Wonderful Life" and drink a glass of red.  Ornaments you've had since you were a little girl, popsicle stick reindeer ornaments made by tiny hands with lots of love. The way the plaid ribbon perfectly compliments the rest of the tree's décor.

These are a few of my favorite things, and what I needed to feel the holiday spirit. I'll admit before the decorations were up I was feeling a little bah humbug about the Holidays which is very unlike me. In fact, I was getting angry with myself. I am supposed to be fostering the spirit for my family and getting us excited about the check list of fun we have to do this season. Perhaps it was the fact that Christmas music was playing in the store after Halloween or that I felt this pressure to purchase the 'perfect' gifts for my loved ones.  Well, I'm back in the swing now. Feeling it and loving it.
This weekend was one of my favorite weekends in a very long time. As you have likely picked up on with my past posts we are always on the go. Always. This weekend though we made a conscience effort to stay home and just be. Cooking dinners, watching Christmas movies, decorating the house, playing games, watching football, and just enjoying each other. And I gotta tell ya...why have I not been doing that more? I am committed to doing more of this in 2014. I need to do more of this because always going and doing doesn't equal happiness. I felt relaxed this weekend. I felt snuggly. It's the mantra of my blog and of the life I want to live....a simple one.

So this holiday season let's look at our calendars and choose wisely what can be left off this year...light a fire, grab your family and just enjoy.

Amanda

1 comment: